15 May 2011

"I'm just sayin..."

Upon reflection I have come to the conclusion that the Finch male of a certain generation has a tendency to become more and more vocally opinionated in old age. We were brought up in an environment where "children are to be seen and not heard," and where the elders of the family were inclined to contradict or correct you at any time--regardless of your age and/or how embarrassing it was in that situation. Therefore, we grew up having to bottle up lots of opinions and feelings.

Now that we've reach the age where there are no more "parental" figures to stomp on us, we tend toward become more vociferous in expressing our feelings, and perhaps even seem to expose a certain meanness of spirit at times. Or at least I sometimes feel that in afterthought of a comment that it was "out of character" for me, so my old self sees it as a mean spirited. Thin line between being a lovable curmudgeon and a crabby old codger.

On the other hand, maybe I am just getting too self-analytical in my dotage.
"Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well."

No comments:

Post a Comment