05 April 2011

How Comest Thou Hither?

     As a city-raised only child, one of the places I always felt truly free was on the farm of my uncle and his eight children. I would spend several days there each summer, greatly enjoying the "different" life they led. No in-door toilet; all of us sleeping in one big room. Barns, corn cribs and machine sheds to discover. I was truly the proverbial city slicker, but mostly I didn't care.
     Today, the free feelings from those days are recalled for me when I use the phrase, "Going to water the ducks."  Through some accident of events, one of my cousins had discovered that the ducks would attempt to drink or caputre a stream of urine as it left his body. That got transformed into all the boys "watering the ducks" on numerous occassions. We thought it was great fun, and the ducks did not seem to mind. Whether this particular diet impacted the taste of their meat, we never knew. It was fun then and the memory of those times comes back to me with the expression.
     My intent is to make this blog a place where I can freely express ideas and hear from anyone who wishes to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment