26 February 2012

Worries

     It is typical (and somewhat tolerated) for a grandfather to think and even say that he has the greatest, most intelligent, perseptive and loving grandchildren ever.  This is certainly so in my case. I am constantly amazed and humbled by all nine I have the honor and pleasure of calling my grandchildren. That I marvel all the time at their insights, senses of humor, talents and faith never ceases to amaze me.
     What worries me is that my own three children are just like their offspring, but that I never took the time to appreciate them when their were growing up. Perhaps it is the providence of grandparents that we have the time to savor our grandchildren in ways that life did not permit with our children. This may be a rationalization for opportunities missed, but I hope that my seeming lack of attention to the details twenty-five years ago was not taken as a lack of love. More like a lack of knowing what was really important to esteem.

1 comment: